Creating Environmental Capital
- Launched ongoing county-wide “Walk Your Children to School “ campaigns in 2000, which has resulted in multiple environmental changes around schools; coordinated statewide effort. Wellness Institute also manages the statewide SAFE ROUTES to SCHOOL coalition and initiative funded by the Governor’s Traffic Safety Commission.(Ongoing since 2006 serving all school districts (5000+ ) in NYS. Launched ongoing county-wide “Walk Your Children to School “ campaigns in 2000, which has resulted in multiple environmental changes around schools; coordinated statewide effort. Wellness Institute also manages the statewide SAFE ROUTES to SCHOOL coalition and initiative funded by the Governor’s Traffic Safety Commission.
(Ongoing since 2006 serving all school districts (5000+ ) in NYS.
- Founded Buffalo’s “Recycle A Bicycle” initiative for youth (2001) resulting in 200+ youth being trained in bicycle maintenance and safe riding practices and 250+ bicycles being recycled; launched Buffalo Blue Bikes, with 6 hubs and 26 bikes- growing to 12 hubs and 50+ bike with 700+ Annual uses. Supported launch of Buffalo Car Share auto sharing initiative (2009)now with over 650 members; fleet of 17 cars and one van (van was obtained in 2010 thru grant application with 6 Buffalo non profits working together). Buffalo Bike Share launched in 2013.
- Launched affiliate partnership (2008) with Sustainable Earth Solutions (private sector) founded by retired science teacher (Dave Bauer) which has resulted in 80+ Buffalo area High School teams and faculty being taught Creative Problem Solving skills and applying those skills to an environmental project at their school.
- Co-founded Tobacco Free Erie County Coalition (1991), which resulted in passage of major clean indoor air legislation in Erie County and removal of tobacco ads at Bills’ football stadium (1998). Member Erie Niagara (counties) Tobacco Free
- Introduced (2002 to present) the NYSDOH Heart Check Worksite Environment Assessment Tool to over 30 companies in Western New York State resulting in over 100 environmental changes supporting heart healthy behaviors. (ongoing)
- Initiated NYS Be Active Environment Work Group resulting in statewide pedestrian/bicycle conference (June 2004 and April 2007). Launched GREEN OPTIONS Buffalo umbrella branding for environmental initiatives www.greenoptionsbuffalo.org (2009) and spun off as independent non profit in 2010. (GO BIKE )
- Held Buffalo’s first annual “Alternative Transportation Day”(2003) Co-founded Artwalk (city walking trail featuring community Art) and co-authored successful “Active Living by Design” grant, with Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. Initiated(2007) health promotion initiatives “Wellness on Wednesday” (WOW) on Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. To date WOW Walks, health Education seminars, wellness fairs and employer wellness committee meetings have created over 11,000 participations in wellness awareness, education and behavior activities, acheiving over 10 MILLION Steps by participants.
- Co-authorized City of Buffalo Healthy Infrastructure grant for downtown Buffalo (2006) and facilitated creation of City of Buffalo Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Commission (2008). Submitted “Complete Streets resolution” (2008) and passed “Complete Streets” city legislation. Complete Streets resolution passed in Erie County Legislature (2008). Worked on State Wide Complete Streets policy now in bill form before NYS legislature. Hosted Summer 2017 BUILDING HEALTHY BUFFALO walking and walkability workshop-release WALKABILITY TOOLLIT and DVD.
- Affilliate Citizen Science Community Resources, led by Jackie James Creedon, instrumental in Tonawanda Coke fine, community forum event facilitation and visioning for proposed health study. (Ongoing)
Don't Miss a Beat!
Be a part of community health initiatives.
This website, all text and images, Copyright© 2019 Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
No use permitted without permission
Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
Phil Haberstro, Executive Director
65 Niagara Square, Room 607
Buffalo, NY 14202