Creating Environmental Capital
Achievements by the Institute
- “Walk Your Children to School “ campaign has resulted in multiple environmental changes around schools. Also manages the state-wide Safe Routes to School Coalition!
- Founded Buffalo’s “Recycle A Bicycle” initiative for youth (2001) resulting in 250+ bikes being recycled and 200+ youth being trained in bicycle maintenance and safe riding practices!
- Launched Buffalo Blue Bikes that has grown to 12 bike hubs and 50+ bikes with 700+ annual uses
- Supported launch of Buffalo Car Share auto sharing initiative, now with over 650 members; Buffalo Bike Share launched in 2013.
- Launched affiliate partnership (2008) with Sustainable Earth Solutions founded by Dave Bauer, which has resulted in 80+ Buffalo area High School teams and faculty being taught Creative Problem Solving skills and applying those skills to an environmental project at their school.
- Co-founded Tobacco Free Erie County Coalition (1991), which resulted in passage of major clean indoor air legislation in Erie County and removal of tobacco ads at Bills’ football stadium (1998).
- Introduced the NYSDOH Heart Check Worksite Environment Assessment Tool to over 30 companies in Western New York State resulting in over 100 environmental changes supporting heart healthy behaviors!
- Initiated NYS Be Active Environment Work Group resulting in statewide pedestrian/bicycle conference. Launched GREEN OPTIONS and spun off as independent non profit GO BIKE!
- Held Buffalo’s first annual “Alternative Transportation Day”
- Co-founded Artwalk (city walking trail featuring community art) and co-authored successful “Active Living by Design” grant with Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
- Initiated health promotion initiatives “Wellness on Wednesday” (WOW) on Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. To date WOW Walks, health Education seminars, wellness fairs and employer wellness committee meetings have created over 11,000 participations in wellness awareness, education and behavior activities, acheiving over 10 MILLION Steps by participants.
- Co-authorized City of Buffalo Healthy Infrastructure grant for downtown Buffalo and facilitated creation of City of Buffalo Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Commission (2008)
- Passed “Complete Streets” City and Erie County Legislature (2008). Worked on State Wide Complete Streets policy now in bill form before NYS legislature
- Hosted Summer 2017 BUILDING HEALTHY BUFFALO walking and walkability workshop-release WALKABILITY TOOLKIT and DVD.
- Affilliate Citizens Science Community Resources, led by Jackie James Creedon, instrumental in Tonawanda Coke fine, community forum event facilitation and visioning for proposed health study.
Don't Miss a Beat!
Be a part of community health initiatives.
This website, all text and images, Copyright© 2019 Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
No use permitted without permission
Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
Phil Haberstro, Executive Director
65 Niagara Square, Room 607
Buffalo, NY 14202