Creating Healthy Human Capital
- Founded Erie County Physical Activity Coalition (1997) #1 rated coalition in New York State by NYSDOH ( Fall 2003) participant and facilitated strategic planning for Erie County Healthy Living task force (2008). Member since 2012 Buffalo Public Schools Health Council (Currently 2012 participating in review , revision and implementation of Buffalo Public School District-wide Wellness Policy).
- Facilitated establishment of Wellness Councils – Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Albany and New York City; Community Health Network co-founder (1990 – 2002). National participation in health promotion advocacy as Board member of Health Promotion Advocates www.HealthPromotionAdvocates.org.
- Founding agency New York State Physical Activity Coalition (1997) rebranded “Be Active New York State Initiative” and launched NY State focused website, www.BeActiveNYS.org (2001). Launched 2014 WALKING TO WELLNESS community campaign-initiative named community best practice by NYDOH launch HEALTHIEST DISTRICT initiative for 142 Assembly District (fall 2017/ongoing)
- Established behavioral programs: First Choice, Youth Advantage (Youth Advantage program since 2008 has served over 4800 hundred youth with Physical, Mental Social and Spiritual development ), W.H.A.T. (Worksite Health Action Team) Forums (4 held), Move for Life, Artwalk, Passport to Wellness Walks for older adults (1992), PACE training, Adventures in Change training, WNED Partnerships for community health (on going). Creative youth leadership program (2004-2009), City Of Buffalo Falls prevention partnership partnered with Mayor/& City Fire Department (2009/ongoing) Member of community partnership with Business First newspaper, YMCA, Wegmans Food Stores and Independent Health Insurer to award Western New York’s Healthiest Employers Awards (May 2011 to 2015 ) member regional Healthy Communities Coalition Steering Committee and STEPS campaign initiative
- Erie County Tobacco Free Coalition (1992 – 1999) (Leadership), ongoing member and advocate ; Member P 2 Collaborative WNY health promotion Steering Committee and Buffalo Healthy Kids Healthy Community initiative.
- Founded Award winning B-Well, City of Buffalo Employee Wellness Program – serving 3500 diverse public sector employees (1989 – 2005). Host city of Buffalo “Healthy Communities” TV show. (ongoing) Advisor to Living Prime Time and Buffalo Healthy Living magazines. Consultant (Current 2012/13) to Catholic Health System employee wellness plan development , implementation and evaluation.
- Wellness Lane: over 24,000 persons served (2002-2014) at Buffalo Niagara Auto Show.
- Hosted two national conferences (1992 and 2006) and 7 regional conferences on health promotion. Managed National Assoc for Health & Fitness www.physicalfitness.org
- Community Health Initiative at the Response to Love Center, launched in 2013 and remains ongoing. A Wellness Challenge and Community Garden were at the forefront of projects executed to educate and empower participants in healthy living.
- CDC Work@Health Certification for Phil Haberstro and staffer Wendy VanEvery (2014)
- Since 2008 have enrolled over 22,000 employees and family members from 100+ employer sites in the Eat Well Live Well Challenge, for workforce and community health promotion. Launched Eat Well Live Well Passport to Family Wellness year round program in Spring 2011 in partnership with private sector and public sector partners.
- Facilitated (2010 to present) city-wide “Falls Prevention” initiative and Buffalo Fire Department staff training (45 fire fighters trained and 15,000+ CDC falls prevention pamphlets distributed at Buffalo city events..Including Fall 2011 ,Spring 2012 GOLDEN YEARS WELLNESS TOUR visits to 17 Buffalo Senior centers with presentations on falls prevention, physical activity and nutrition. Recruited multiple community partners for ongoing falls prevention in the Fillmore District and beyond.
- Facilitated partnership(2009) to open satellite office in Town of Tonawanda on Cardinal O’Hara High School campus offering health promotion activities /resources to faculty /staff, students, families, alumni and community. Provided opportunity for (100+) college student internships and service learning in school, worksite and community health promotion.
- Since 1989 participated in the training of health promotion Interns year-round from across the United States.
- Consulted to provide workplace and community health promotion to the Health Sciences Charter School in the City of Buffalo (2013 to present)
Don't Miss a Beat!
Be a part of community health initiatives.
This website, all text and images, Copyright© 2019 Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
No use permitted without permission
Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
Phil Haberstro, Executive Director
65 Niagara Square, Room 607
Buffalo, NY 14202